Yup. It is.
Especially during the summer holidays!!
That’s because the lack of routine has a backlash the size of Australia, creating a face-melting alternative universe in which we all must exist until school starts again. The bickering, the moaning, the whingeing, the MESS!!
So if you are feeling guilty, bad, or both — stop.
Being a parent is amazing, but it’s also hard work and relentless. And if your kids are fed, (relatively clean) and happy, then you have done well. Pat yourself on the back — you deserve it.
If you can stomach going out after bed time (rather than just slumping on the sofa watching re-runs of Friends/How I Met Your Mother/Catastrophe or anything on Netflix) then go for it. Hire a babysitter, and head for the door. Take your partner, a friend or go at it alone.
Just get out of the house. Quickly.
Go carve a little time for yourself, or else that face-melting universe will suck you back in, and hold on to you for at least another 6 weeks. Who am I kidding? More like another 6 months. And if you are feeling so knackered that you can’t even be bothered to think of stuff to do, here are some suggestions as an extra incentive:
- Have a cocktail at Peddler
- Sit down for dinner at Artusi
- Get your hair done at Myla & Davies
- Eat an SE Cakery dessert
- Order nibbles at Miss Tapas
- Book a massage at HB Theraphy
- Buy a new perfume from Roullier Whit
- Have a facial at Dr Boo
- Splash out on a manicure at Polished
- Watch a movie at Dulwich Picture House
- Impulse buy at Bias Peckham
- Listen to live music at The Ivy House pub
Basically, do whatever you need to do to recharge your batteries, stop pulling your hair out and screaming at your husband.
Write a comment